Feature request: select entire words

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 11 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
gmichaud

Post by gmichaud »

I'd like to be able to select multiple words by double-clicking on the first (or last) word and dragging the mouse to the next (or previous) words. As of primalscript v6.0.150, moving the mouse at all after a double-click to select a word moves the end of the selection to the mouse position. While this is a cool way to always select from the start of a word, I usually select multiple words to delete or copy. Maybe it could be a user selectable option?? ThanksGerry
Thanks,
Gerry
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Just click at any place and shift + click at some other place and anything in between is selected. Doesn't get simpler than that.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
gmichaud

Post by gmichaud »

Shift + click doesn't select the ENTIRE word, only up to the cursor. Try it in Outlook or an office app. double click and drag and entire words are selected as you drag.
Thanks,
Gerry
gmichaud

Post by gmichaud »

No reply? Alexander, please don't just drop this. Since I started using PS I've noticed that it is the ONLY app I use that DOESN'T allow double-click & drag to select multiple entire works. Office apps, notepad, IE, Lotus Notes and even Explorer does it when renaming files. PS is, for lack of a better word, the oddball. THIS VERY EDITING DIALOG in this web page allows double-click & drag! it's EVERYWHERE!! except in PS.It's not only easier to use double-click & drag , it's more consistent, and you know you will get the entire word and not miss the last little "l" next to the "." because of poor mouse aim. It can't be that hard to do. Please just put it on the list so I can start talking you into adding an ENHANCED column editing feature :-} See my previous post here: ( http://www.sapien.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1291 )
Last edited by J A Reif on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated url
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

FYI, Alex is off today, so please allow some time for him to reply. Thank you for the feedback. David
David
Alexander Riedel

First of all, please understand that just because no one replies to a post right away or doesn't start a discussion means that we dismiss anything. We get lots of feedback here and via email from many users and unfortunately we can't always promise or act on something at once.

Your concerns are noted and I understand that this word selection mode is really important to you.

Thanks!
Alexander Riedel
gmichaud

Post by gmichaud »

While I'm in the forums today, just thought I'd renew my old request for selecting entire words.
Thanks,
Gerry
Alexander Riedel

It appears this feature only exists in word processors. Neither Visual Studio, Notepad, the Microsoft ISE and variety of other code editors displat that behavior.
So while this is still on the list, it simply has no high priority.

If anyone else feels this is important, pelase chime in and let us know.

Thanks!
Alexander Riedel
gmichaud

Post by gmichaud »

OMG!!! You must NOT know what I'm talking about. I'll make videos of Notepad & Visual Studio 2010 doing this and post them.

FYI, it is a user selectable option in Word 2010:

Attached files
Thanks,
Gerry
Alexander Riedel

I know what you are talking about, I am quite able to comprehend. It's just not really in widespread use in code editing. Visual Studio 2008 does not do that. It's what we use.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 11 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.