struggling with the msi installer

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
jsira2003@yahoo.com

struggling with the msi installer

Post by jsira2003@yahoo.com »

I am using powershell studio 2019. I had limited success using the powershell msi installer. First off I was surprised I can only include a packaged .exe in the file list. What if I have other files that I want to include?

The output folder was perplexing. It appears that this is where the .msi package goes after being build. I was wondering where do i specify the directory for the packaged .exe to be installed? I didn't see any where to specify this. Also after running the .msi installer it runs and it appears nothing gets installed.

I saw an old document regarding .msi packaging from 2013. Is there anything more recent?

Everyday is a learning experience lol

thanks,
John
jsira2003@yahoo.com

Re: struggling with the msi installer

I read that older document from 2013 and it cleared up my understanding of the msi packaging. It works nicely. I am just left with my first question about adding non-packaged files to the .msi package. I’d like the end user to access these files outside of the packaged app.

If I can resolve this I have it all!

Thanks,
John
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

You add any additional files here.
2019-01-06_9-42-44.png
2019-01-06_9-42-44.png (17.59 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
Or you can just place all files in the structure you want somewhere and select that location as your "staging folder"
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jsira2003@yahoo.com

do i need to add the .config.exe to the msi package?

thanks,
John
jsira2003@yahoo.com

One thing I noticed is that if the program is installed already and I attempt to install it again without uninstalling it i get an error message:

The application requires PowerShell V5. Please install WinRM 5.0, then run this installer again.

The program installs fine if it is uninstalled. However if the person tries to install it again it would be better if they got a message that the program was already installed instead of the message above. Did I make an error?

thanks,
John
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

The config file is usually required, yes.
As for the PowerShell V5 requirement, it probably means you selected something other than "None" under "Minimum PowerShell Version required"
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 5 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.