Debug Console and Variables Window stopped working

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
matthmsft

Debug Console and Variables Window stopped working

Post by matthmsft »

Product: PowerShell Studio 2019 (64 Bit)
Build: v5.6.167
Build: v10.0.18362.0

Hi. Over the recent day or so, my Debug Console stopped working. When running my project in Debug mode, the Variables window was available but the Debug Console is unresponsive and does not allow me to use it. I upgraded to this version I am on now (quoted in the post) and the Variable window is now not even loading.

No changes have been made to my project while these problems have started.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Debug Console and Variables Window stopped working

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I did a quick test with the current version and both the variable window as well as the debug console appear to operate normally. Here at least.
Please give us some indication as to the type of the project you are experiencing this with.
Please elaborate on what "not allow me to use it" and "not even loading" exactly means.
Do you see an error message?
Is the panel present but you cannot enter anything?
Is the panel not present?
Is the panel there but appears empty?
Can you enter a value in the debug console but nothing happens when you press enter?
Can you include a screenshot or two showing the events?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
matthmsft

Post by matthmsft »

Hi, thanks for the reply. I just reinstalled and I still have the same behavior.

I am using a WinForms application. When I run my app in debug mode, it loads and operates normally. If I switch over to the Debug Console, I just see an empty window. If I try to type in the input field, none of my keyboard entry is registered, so I cannot type or submit any commands.

On the Variables tab, that too is empty. Any of the Drop Down menu selections such as "Show all variables" still does not show anything.

The Call Stack window is empty too, but I never use this so I don't know what it usually looks like.

It feels like something is just hanging, but my app is working fine, the Tools Output window is not showing any errors, everything merges, loads and runs. The last entry is "Completed Cache Information".

This is blocking me from completing a release for an important customer, if there is any expedited support I can get (I don't know what sapien support services might be there that I might have with my license) I'd appreciate it.
Alexander Riedel

Maybe this is just a misunderstanding. You are aware that the variables pane, stack panel and debug console only can only operate when your application is stopped at a breakpoint?
During regular execution (without stopping) these items are not updated or operational.
Alexander Riedel
matthmsft

Post by matthmsft »

Looks like my breakpoints were disabled :|

Oh dear.

Just needed a second pair of eyes, thanks.

That's one of my issues solved - long week
Alexander Riedel

Don't worry, we all have those :D
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 4 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.