PrimalScript 2020 Crashing on Save

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 4 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
kevinkidder

PrimalScript 2020 Crashing on Save

Post by kevinkidder »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

Product, version and build: PrimalScript 2020 Version 7.6.138
32 or 64 bit version of product: x64
Operating system: Windows 10 Enterprise
32 or 64 bit OS: x64

*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***

Approximately 30% of the time when saving a script with the option to sign the script on saving, the save function (presumably the signing of the script) causes the IDE to terminate. The save has subsequently completed with the correct digital signature.

Interestingly, when the application crash occurs, it seems to then occur repeatedly several times, also on save. After a few crashes though, the saves no longer cause the issue and I am good to work until the next time I close the application or reboot.

Is there a specific crash log I can capture or review to see where the crash is occurring?

Thanks

Kevin

DO NOT POST LICENSES, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: PrimalScript 2020 Crashing on Save

Post by Alexander Riedel »

It would be in the system even logs.
Does it do that when you just sign?
What kind of file it? PowerShell? Does it matter which file? Trying to find something common because this sounds a bit random.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Alexander Riedel

A quick test here looks fine. Do you have access to another computer? Trying to find out if its internal or external.
Alexander Riedel
kevinkidder

Post by kevinkidder »

Thanks Alexander for getting back to me.

This seems to only occur when I am signing the file on save, but I can disable that for the time being to see if I can get the issue to reoccur without signing.

The scripts I work on are always powershell, but it doesn't matter which script. An example was this morning where I was working on a new script when the issue occurred. The script content itself doesn't seem to matter.

This was an issue on my previous PC, as well as this one. My workstation was swapped out about 2 weeks ago.

The application crash seems to be an access denied. Perhaps my issue is related to a .NET issue? If you have seen this behavior elsewhere, I would love to know if you have suggestions to fix it.

Two events generated per crash, below:

Faulting application name: PrimalScript.exe, version: 7.6.138.0, time stamp: 0x5e451e77
Faulting module name: mfc140u.dll, version: 14.21.27702.2, time stamp: 0x5ccadc8e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000001d95b2
Faulting process id: 0x2f14
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5ed79ebba4491
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\PrimalScript 2020\PrimalScript.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\mfc140u.dll
Report Id: a8436734-e7e3-4f22-9a4a-0bbd58116466
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Second one: (.NET Runtime eventID 1026)

Application: PrimalScript.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFE2FBA95B2
Alexander Riedel

It's an access violation exception, which generally occurs when something tries to access a memory location they have no business accessing. Null pointer, buffer overruns, etc.
I am not quite sure what to make of the .NET 4.0 framework here, that shouldn't even be involved....
At any rate, lets first determine if it is the saving or the signing that is the problem.
Please turn off the option to sign on save.
Save a few times. Sign a few times. If it happens again, let me know while doing what. Thanks!
Alexander Riedel
kevinkidder

Post by kevinkidder »

Interestingly, the app only crashes (and only occasionally) when I have "sign automatically when saving" enabled. If I have that disabled, the app does not crash on save.

Kevin
Alexander Riedel

Thank you for checking. I have identified a potential source of the problem and remedied the code. We cannot reproduce the crash here, but it all points to a running syntax check running on a timer, which kicks in just right at the moment PrimalScript re-loads the signed script. So we have to wait for the next service build and please check with that.
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

Thank you for checking. I have identified a potential source of the problem and remedied the code. We cannot reproduce the crash here, but it all points to a running syntax check running on a timer, which kicks in just right at the moment PrimalScript re-loads the signed script. So we have to wait for the next service build and please check with that.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 4 years and 4 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.