Powershell 7 or new instances of PS

Ask your PowerShell-related questions, including questions on cmdlet development!
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Reddrgn2
Answers: 1

Powershell 7 or new instances of PS

Post by Reddrgn2 »

Hi,

I am just wondering how does or will Sapien incorporate newer versions of powershell. Will products at some point have the option to build packages for powershell 6 or 7(new upcoming release)? I know there aren't a lot of environments that are using 6 but just wondering how changes like this will effect products. Yes, I am using powershell core 6.1 in a testing lab and all scripts or gui's created are created with PS v5, cause I know my production environment is using PS v5.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Powershell 7 or new instances of PS

Post by Alexander Riedel »

It's going to be in a blog post some time soon, but since you asked....
Core 1.png
Core 1.png (288.45 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
Core 2.png
Core 2.png (182.93 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Reddrgn2

Post by Reddrgn2 »

oh ok, so Sapien will update as the new versions come out. How long after the release will tools be updated to include them? I not really asking for a specific number of days after release but is the a grace period from the release date to allow to make sure isn't going to have issues with the release. Kind of like windows updates and they sometimes cause more issues than fixes. :)
Alexander Riedel

I cannot really say. We had a late start on this because .NET Core itself was quite buggy in the Windows Forms department. We are working on it now. In an ideal world, we would do a release of *some* PowerShell 7 support a a week or two after MS declares it final. But if we run into trouble, it can easily be a month or more. It all depends. We'd rather not release PowerShell 7 support rather than release it and then shrug and say "Yeah, sorry, not working, we know" :D
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

Oh and I should add that this does not mean Windows PowerShell 5.1 support is removed. That will of course stay.
Alexander Riedel
Reddrgn2

Post by Reddrgn2 »

Ok thanks. I know core is not really replacing windows powershell, to many missing modules and cmdlets.
brinkcm

Post by brinkcm »

PowerShell 6 had those limitations, but PowerShell 7 does not. :)
Alexander Riedel

It doesn't really matter if there are differences or limitations. Many organizations will not allow updating or adding PowerShell 7 to their machines for quite some time. So we will keep supporting Windows PowerShell 5.1
Alexander Riedel
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

PowerShell 7 still has some mismatches with PowerShell 5.1. It will take until 7.1 to get this addressed. MS needs to get this widely used to uncover issues and also it is needed inmany cross-platform issues.

Packaging is an issue for anyone packaging anything cross-platform. There is no single tool that can do this well. I worked with one of these decades ago that promised to make C portable across platforms including across GUIs. The product was a nightmare and only made things harder by promising programmers that they could easily compile code for Windows, Unix IBM and other platforms. PowerShell stands a better chance of working without most issues.

I suspect we will get there soon since PS 7 is open source and is moving ahead very efficiently.
This topic is 4 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.