Continuation of locked post SAPIEN Updates.exe crashes

Use this forum to ask questions about installation or issues encountered while installing our software.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 3 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
n1mdas

Continuation of locked post SAPIEN Updates.exe crashes

Post by n1mdas »

Hello,

This is the continuation of viewtopic.php?p=78083#p78083 as it is locked/cannot be updated.

After updating the PowerShell to 5.0 on the same Windows 8.1 machine and installed several security Windows updates. (need to find the corresponding script to pull that info out for you) upon opening the Script Packager it crashes:

App.log:

Faulting application name: SAPIEN Script Packager.exe, version: 1.0.26.0, time stamp: 0x5f5277a8
Faulting module name: BCGCBPRO3051u142.dll, version: 30.51.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ed92768
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00000000001970ec
Faulting process id: 0x27c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6c81b3d80cde3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\PowerShell Studio 2020\SAPIEN Script Packager.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\PowerShell Studio 2020\BCGCBPRO3051u142.dll
Report Id: 7cb18bc7-340e-11eb-836c-e03f496e61eb
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Within the memory dump (cannot be opened fully, due to lack of symbols):

The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(27c.2184): Unknown exception - code c000041d (first/second chance not available)
*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for BCGCBPRO3051u142.dll
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for BCGCBPRO3051u142.dll -
BCGCBPRO3051u142!CBCGPEdit::get_accValue+0x9c:
00000001`801970ec ff9060010000 call qword ptr [rax+160h] ds:00000001`80636ea8={BCGCBPRO3051u142!CBCGPEdit::get_accValue (00000001`80197050)}

The Sapien Update tool crashes still with the same error as per initial request about the 'SAPIEN Updates.exe crashes', so both can be now connected.

Please advise if 'simple' reinstall of the complete DevOps Suite will fix the issue or I have to perform anything further as I am still interested in the root cause. This: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -web-based is not yet deployed if it is not part of those security updates.

P.S. If you provide a share I can upload msinfo32, app log, installed apps and the dump zipped to have a look.

Thank you for the support.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Continuation of locked post SAPIEN Updates.exe crashes

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I did a quick run in the debugger setting a breakpoint at the indicated function and the function is never called. Given the UI of the script packager, or the update tool, this function should actually never be called, since it only applies to COM interfaces and our UIs are not COM based.
A re-install will not fix this issue, I am quite certain. I have not been able to reproduce this issue on any machine I have and QA has used whatever 8.0 and 8.1 VMs they have in various states
trying to reproduce this. All to no avail. Mind you, all VMs are fully patched.
Would you be able to convert that machine's OS into a VM?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
n1mdas

Post by n1mdas »

It is a physical box and I cannot fully convert it to a VM due to security reasons/personal files etc.
I could attach the installed software output, any specific logs you may need to verify the setup. What about repairing it somehow with replacing that DLL? Could the DLL be "corrupted" somehow by 3rd party Antivirus/antimalware software and 'break' the digital signature regardless it still shows signed by Microsoft that causes this?

Is there a workaround to avoid the script to be called via IE component or not yet? Do you have a 'special' debug binary I could replace in the PowerShell Studio, when the crash happens I can configure additionally Just in time debugging and provide also the sysinfo from the machine with running apps/services etc.? P.S. The machine just receives the security fixes no rollouts and Microsoft previews updates etc.. yet.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I am pretty certain the dll is intact. Signed dlls do not show an intact signature if they have been modified, the CRC wouldn't match.
You can install the software on another computer and do a binary compare if you like though. That's a simple step.
You can of course un-install and re-install. It won't hurt. It usually doesn't fix anything, but why not.

While the update tool obviously uses internet access components that *might* account for that flaw, Script Packager has no code to access the internet in any form or fashion.
Therefore I am not really sure this is in fact IE related.
The BCGP library is our UI component and used in all C++ products. You can install CIM Explorer, PrimalScript, PrimalPad or VersionRecall, they all use the same component and see if they show a similar symptom.

We do not hand out debug information nor can we reasonably debug on a customer's computer.
Since this only happens on your machine I am tempted to say the time has come for you to re-image your machine, preferably with Windows 10.
I absolutely understand that this is the last thing you want to hear :D
If this were a wide spread issue, we would drop everything and jump on this, but it is only one computer that we know of. Not trying to diminish your plight, but I hope you understand that
this somewhat limits the resources we can put on this. If there was an easy fix, I would tell you for sure.

The general advice is to install the software posing the problem on another machine. Preferably a similarly configured one. Then see if that happens there too. If not, you have something to compare to.
That is the most common outcome in situations like this. Make a barebones 8.1 VM yourself maybe and see. If it happens there, maybe we can access that somehow.

There are a few more things to consider. We have received a new version of the BCGP lib and will switch over to that in January I would assume. I went through the change logs to see if anything applies to this, but to no affect. That doesn't mean something wasn't changed that would cure that. I can provide you with a test version as soon as we start on that if you are interested.

Windows 8 will soon be delisted as supported OS. I cannot provide a timeline, but I imagine Windows 8.1 is not far behind, as mainstream support for it ended September 2018.
That doesn't mean our software won't run on it, we do still have Windows 7 users. But it means there will be no testing and no support on that OS version.
I am just throwing that out there in case you consider updating your machine. If you have reasons to stay on 8.1, you cannot help that of course.

I encourage you to download this:
https://sapien.s3.amazonaws.com/downloa ... nCheck.exe
and paste the output here. Maybe there is something I can see that raises suspicion.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
n1mdas

Post by n1mdas »

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro Ő몇[
OS build: 9600.19873
32 or 64 bit OS: 64 bit
Screen Resolutions: DISPLAY1: 1920 x 1200 with scale factor 100%
PowerShell Core: No PowerShell Core version detected
PowerShell Core (x86): No PowerShell Core (x86) version detected
.NET Core Framework: 3.1.3
.NET Core Framework (x86): No .NET Core Framework (x86) version detected
.NET Core Desktop: 3.1.3
.NET Core Desktop (x86): No .NET Core Desktop (x86) version detected
PowerShell cache:
PowerShell 2: 32 Bit, 64 Bit
PowerShell 5: 32 Bit, 64 Bit
SAPIEN Software:
CIM Explorer 2020: 2.2.91.0,
Document Explorer 2019: 3.1.88.0,
PowerShell HelpWriter 2020: 2.3.48.0,
PowerShell ModuleManager 2020: 1.1.7.0,
PowerShell Studio 2020: 5.7.182.0,
PrimalScript 2020: 7.7.145.0,
PrimalSQL 2020: 4.5.73.0,
SAPIEN Updates: 1.1.37.0,
ScriptMerge 2020: 1.4.83.0,
VersionRecall 2020: 1.6.154.0
.NET Framework runtime: 4.8 or later
Visual Studio runtime: 14.0: v14.26.28720.03

Thank you for the explanation. Appreciate it. Let me know please when the dll is published. One more question. I activated my license on a VM with Windows 10 x64 Pro on VMware Workstation 16 Pro where when opening or updating the PS Modules in Module Manager the machine crashes but will open a separate request and point it to this one.
This topic is 3 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.