FTP Explorer

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 16 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
djlurch

FTP Explorer

Post by djlurch »

When using the FTP explorer there are two things that would be very helpful.1) From the main pane FTP folder explorer it would be nice to have a "Move Up one level" icon or context sensitive right click command. 2) Context sensitive right click command that would allow me to create a new file. There is already a command to create a new folder. To me, the ability to create a new file is far more important than the ability to create a new folder.Your consideration is greatly appreciated.
donj

FTP Explorer

Post by donj »

What *type* of file would you want it to create? I think that's perhaps one reason the option doesn't currently exist; the tool was mainly (originally) designed as a file transfer client, not an FTP-based version of Windows Explorer. Not to say that role couldn't perhaps expand, but it'd be useful to understand how it's being used, rather than just adding features without fully understanding their purpose.
djlurch

FTP Explorer

Post by djlurch »

Don:It honestly doesn't matter what type of file. If you look at the context sensitive menu when the focus is on a file in the FTP explorer, you will see a "Rename" option. Because of this option, a file of any extension could be created. Also, because of this option it would seem to be trivial to create a file of any extension. Of course, this is presupposing that creating a file via FTP is trivial. Logistically here is how I see it working:1) Right click -> Choose create new file2) Dialog window asks for file name3) Blank file with that name is created in the a temp folder4) FTP component uploads fileBy the way, I'm just looking to have it create a blank file. Nothing fancy. Once it is created I would be able to copy and paste the contents.
donj

FTP Explorer

Post by donj »

Ok, great - thanks for the feedback.
This topic is 16 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.