Error 1909 -- Desktop shortcut Issues

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 1 year and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Talosian

Error 1909 -- Desktop shortcut Issues

Post by Talosian »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

Product: PowerShell Studio 2022 (64 Bit)
Build: v5.8.213
Build: v10.0.22000.0

*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***

DO NOT POST LICENSES, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM

Sirs -- I have 2 issues
I am trying to get my .msi file to create an icon on the desktop of the user that runs the file.

As one option, I have two scripts that work as stand alone powershell scripts, setup under custom actions. When the custom actions run - I see a flash of the powershell window (durring install) but no icons are placed on the desktop.

The second problem is that I have tried all of the shortcut path options in the display menu (installer section - shortcuts) and all of them throw the error 1909 -- attached in ticket.

I have also attached my .psbuild to be as inclusive of information that I can.

Looking forward to your direction.
Attachments
APM Installer.psproj.psbuild
(5.5 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Error 1909.jpb.jpg
Error 1909.jpb.jpg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 5863 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Error 1909 -- Desktop shortcut Issues

Post by Alexander Riedel »

You reference a folder and a license file in your MSI configuration, nothing else.
Assuming that the files you references in your custom actions exist in that specified folder, MSI and the WiX toolset do not work that way.
You cannot reference implied files in shortcuts and custom actions, they need to be added specifically.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Talosian

Post by Talosian »

Thank you for your responce -

I have attached the listing of files that gets created via the .msi that is part of this project. The msi installs the files you see in these captures. The second capture APM-Veracrypt -- shows the scripts in that directory.

I know that I am not getting something right, but what adjustments do I need to make? It seems the files are part of the install and they end up where they should? What changes do I need to make so that I get the expected results? (if I were using the scripted method to place the short cuts on the desktop)

Does your comment also cover why the shortcut placement isn't working via the installer\shortcut's, within the Script Packager method?

Thanks for your time
Attachments
APM-Veracrypt.jpg
APM-Veracrypt.jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
APM.jpg
APM.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Without diving too much into the details of MSI and WiX, yes, it also covers the shortcuts.
You cannot just add a folder with your files, you need to add the files themselves.
WiX works a lot with references. So if you add a folder, you only have a reference to a folder. It will install the files,
but you cannot use any of the files within for a reference, say shortcuts or custom actions.

Generally the ability to add a folder to the installer is to add *SUB* folders of your product install that are otherwise not referenced.
Typically you add all the files you have in your Veracrypt folder and add the "docs" and "Languages" folders as, well, folders.
Since you likely want to add shortcuts to files in your "bin" folder, you cannot add just that folder, you need to add all the files in there individually.
Then you can reference them in a shortcut.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Talosian

Post by Talosian »

Thank you for your explanation -- it was easy enough for me to understand :)

I have re-attached the .psbuild file as I have some additional questions.

First - the script to create the desktop shortcut works without issue -- WOOHOO!

The script that deletes the shortcut does not work. I have confirmed that the scripts are now listed in the 'Files and Folders' location -- in the proper directories that were only referenced before. This script runs as a stand alone event so the code seems good - but the icon remains.

Additionally -- when I attempt to create the shortcut via the 'Shortcuts' method (perfered perhaps -- would not neet to rely on scripts) I have attached a docx file that highlights the steps that I have used and assume that my method is flawed and causing issue. I attached 4 pics (would have sent a .docx file but couldn't) that outlines what I am seeing.

Thank you very much for your assistance!
Attachments
Shortcut_Process_2.jpg
Shortcut_Process_2.jpg (61.23 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
Shortcut_Process_1.jpg
Shortcut_Process_1.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
APM Installer.psproj.psbuild
(37.66 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Talosian

Post by Talosian »

Adding process pics and this line needs to be 50 characters long --
Attachments
Shortcut_Process_4.jpg
Shortcut_Process_4.jpg (84.57 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
Shortcut_Process_3.jpg
Shortcut_Process_3.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
This topic is 1 year and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.