Huge Memory Leak crashed OS

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
PatrickB

Huge Memory Leak crashed OS

Post by PatrickB »

PrimalXML 2016, Version 4.2.42, 64 bit software
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I had PrimalXML open with a tiny XML file for a couple hours. File was located on a UNC share. I didn't have any problems. I closed the file at some point, I think near the end of the day but not sure when, though I left PrimalXML open. Later, I got ready to leave work and closed PrimalXML itself. PrimalXML appeared to close without a problem. I locked my computer and went home. When I came back the next morning, my computer had restarted.

I looked through my Windows event logs a bit, and found a couple things pointing to a memory leak in PrimalXML as the culprit. It reached 50GB (!) in size before the crash.

I tried opening the same file in PrimalXML and repeating my steps (except for leaving PrimalXML open for hours). I have done this twice. I have been unable to replicate the memory leak.

I have software that takes screenshots of my desktop. I had task manager open last night too. You can see that when I closed PrimalXML, the RAM usage starts shooting up. I hadn't noticed it at the time. Based on those screenshots, the memory leak did not seem to start till I tried to close PrimalXML, and the leak was not something that had been building up all day. Those screenshots are attached, along with a dump of my SYSTEM event log (as both JSON and XML).

I didn't spot any native logs for PrimalXML. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to hunt down the bug.
Attachments
PrimalXML bug report 2016-12-01.zip
(4.93 MiB) Downloaded 500 times
This topic is 7 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.