Can't set PrimalXML as Default Program

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
sblaylock

Can't set PrimalXML as Default Program

Post by sblaylock »

PrimalXML Version 4.3.45 - 64bit, Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

After a recent update, my PrimalXML was no longer the default XML program. I went through the usual Open with... Choose default program. PrimalXML wasn't listed in Recommended Programs... or Other Programs... I click Browse..., navigate to PrimalXML.exe and click Open. Nothing happens in the Open with... dialog. I click OK and get "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel." I go through the Default Programs in control panel process and get the same result.

PrimalXML works fine on my system, except for the annoying intermittent scrolling issue that's been around for several years, I just can't seem to make it the default xml program. I've associated xml to another xml editor and then tried to associate it to PrimalXML, but still no joy.

Is there a dll registration that got dropped during the update? I tried to uninstall and re-install, but still nothing.

Thanks for the help,
Scott.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Can't set PrimalXML as Default Program

Post by davidc »

Nothing has changed in the installer as far as I can tell. The application never set the default association for XML files. It only sets the "Edit with PrimalXML" for extensions with perceived type "Text".
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
sblaylock

Post by sblaylock »

Shouldn't there be a way to set it to be the Default Program. I know It was set that way for years, but now it's been removed and I can't set it. It's like Windows thinks PrimalXML is 1/2 installed. It works fine from the icon, but won't accept it as a default program.

Is there a dll that needs to be re-registered?

Thanks,
Scott.
davidc

Post by davidc »

PrimalXML doesn't depend on any registered dlls. I'm not sure why Windows believes it isn't installed completely. Try Uninstalling and reinstall the application and to see if Windows still registers the applications install as incomplete.
David
sblaylock

Post by sblaylock »

OK, I got it sorted.

There were a bunch of entries in the registry pointing to "C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\PrimalXML 2016". It seems the PrimalXML 2017 install/upgrade didn't cleanup the old references very well and these old entries were pointing to a nonexistent folder. Once I updated the folder references in the registry to ...PrimalXML 2017 it worked fine.

Scott.
davidc

Post by davidc »

Thank you for the update. Do you happen to recall what the exact entries were?
David
sblaylock

Post by sblaylock »

Unfortunately I don't, but there were three or four that I needed to update. I should have kept track so you could update the install script.

Sorry, it was a last ditch effort and I was surprised when it actually fixed it.

Scott.
This topic is 6 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.