Windows Installer (MSIEXEC) problems after installing PSS 2021

Use this forum to ask questions about installation or issues encountered while installing our software.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 2 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
iSOSiDB

Windows Installer (MSIEXEC) problems after installing PSS 2021

Post by iSOSiDB »

I am having an issue after installing PowerShell Studio 2021 (5.8.194) and I cannot resolve it (have tried on and off for over a week). My problem seems to be that after installing PSS 2021 (5.8.194) on a Windows 10 21H1 VM and performing a reboot, PSS 2021 spawns two "SYSTEM" processes for MSIEXEC (Windows Installer), one a 64-bit instance and one a 32-bit instance. I've tried on multiple versions of Windows 10 and don't have this issue with other software installs, only PSS 2021. Long story troubleshooting, hopefully I can explain some of the troubleshooting basics below:

Windows 10 VM, doesn't matter if it is domain-joined or not and it doesn't seem to matter if UAC is enabled or not either, same for A/V enabled or not (we use Trend Micro). I’m using a fresh Windows 10 21H1 install, patched and up to date. Basically, a pristine Windows 10 install.

First, I try to install PSS 2021 and it prompted me to install some pre-req’s, so I let it (.NET 5, SAPIEN Updates and SAPIEN ScriptMerge). No problems with the PSS 2021 install. When it completes, I can install other SAPIEN products (and other vendor products post PSS 2021 install), that is until I reboot. Once I reboot, I can't install or remove anything because two MSIEXEC processes are running (as SYSTEM) and I can’t stop them unless I use PSEXEC to kill the MSIEXEC 64-bit process (which then kills the MSIEXEC 32-bit process as well). If I try to stop them normally without PSEXEC, I get an “Access Denied”.

MSIEXEC processes running.jpg
MSIEXEC processes running.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 9853 times

Because it is a VM, I can leverage VM snapshots which makes it easier to go back and forth and start from a point of never having installed PSS 2021 or the pre-req’s, so I’ve tried many different scenarios to get this resolved. I’ve tried installing PSS 2021 (and the pre-req’s) then rebooting as well as installing PSS 2021, running the app, registering the product license, and allowing the cache to build, then rebooting. Same issue each time (two MSIEXEC processes are running post-reboot after installing PSS 2021). I’ve tried running the PSS 2021 install as a user and Run as Admin, same results.

So, I figured maybe it is an issue with the pre-req’s spawned by the PSS 2021 install. I then tried to install the pre-req’s first (.NET 5, SAPIEN Updates 1.1.40.0 and SAPIEN ScriptMerge 2019 1.4.77.0, which is the latest version available for download from your website). Then I rebooted and checked, the MSIEXEC processes were not there (as results running as a user and Run as Admin). I then tried the PSS 2021 install (as user and Run as Admin), and it still wanted to install a newer SAPIEN ScriptMerge since I didn’t have the version needed, so I allowed the pre-req install. No need for PSS 2021 to install a pre-req for either .NET 5 or SAPIEN Updates, they were OK. The install went fine but post reboot, the two MSIEXEC processes were there again.

So, I figured I’d try with another SAPIEN app that is like the PSS 2021 install process and I ran the same tests as before while installing SAPIEN PrimalScript 2021 (8.0.155.0). I installed the pre-req’s like I did with PSS 2021 and the PrimalScript install prompted me to still install the pre-req ScriptMerge (reporting that I needed 1.4.87 or higher as a pre-req). I allowed PrimalScript to install the pre-req and continued the PrimalScript install. Once the PrimalScript 2021 install completed, I rebooted and didn’t have any problems with the MSIEXEC processes post-reboot. I was able to install and uninstall apps without issue (so this problem seems isolated to just the PSS 2021 install process). I don’t believe that it is the SAPIEN Updates app that is trying to process an update post-reboot.

So, I reverted the VM snapshot back to a pristine Windows 10 condition, installed the pre-req’s for PSS 2021, rebooted, ran the install for PSS 2021 (allowing the pre-req install to upgrade ScriptMerge), launched PSS 2021 and entered the license info and allowed the completion of the cache build. I then rebooted the system again and saw two MSIEXEC processes post-reboot. I used PSEXEC to kill the MSIEXEC 64-bit process (which also killed the MSIEXEC 32-bit process) and then tried to install another SAPIEN product (a small one, SAPIEN PowerShell Profile Editor 1.2.41.0). When I ran the install, I received the following screen:

Previous install initiated 1.jpg
Previous install initiated 1.jpg (64.75 KiB) Viewed 9853 times

I clicked on “OK” and received the following:

Previous install initiated 2.jpg
Previous install initiated 2.jpg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 9853 times

This is where I stopped testing, seems something is not working with the PSS 2021 install for me. Any assistance or insight would be appreciated.

Thank you
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Re: Windows Installer (MSIEXEC) problems after installing PSS 2021

Post by brittneyr »

Thank you for reporting this behavior.
This could be a related to this other reported installer issue with service build 194:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15562&p=81164#p81164

I'll investigate further and update you when I have more information.
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
brittneyr
Site Admin

Post by brittneyr »

Please try service build 5.8.195 and let me know if this is still an issue.
Brittney
brittneyr
Site Admin

Post by brittneyr »

If this is still an issue in service release 5.8.195, please do the following:
- Uninstall PowerShell Studio
- Run the installer with /L*V "setup.log" as in SPS21Setup_5.8.195_100721_x64.exe /L*V "setup.log"
- Upload the log file here: https://www.sapien.com/support/upload
Brittney
iSOSiDB

Post by iSOSiDB »

Just to follow up, by the time I was able to test again, I tried with "SPS21Setup_5.8.196_111221_x64" and the issue seems to be resolved. Thanks for your help, good job!!
This topic is 2 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.