PrimalScript is SLOW on Windows 10 Enterprise

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 2 years and 3 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
FrankAndrew

Re: PrimalScript is SLOW on Windows 10 Enterprise

Post by FrankAndrew »

Here is something that might be interesting.
While I was looking at differnet things on the machines where PS is having performance problems and the one that does not have those problem here at work I noticed the following:

On the machine where I am having no problems the Task Manager shows the following 5 sub processes always running under the main process:
No performance problems
No performance problems
2022.01.25_15-57-47_WPC67163_PrimalScript_does_NOT_have_a_Problem_here_But_More_sub-processes.png (66.16 KiB) Viewed 41105 times
But on the other two machines where I am having problem the Task Manager shows only 1 sub process:
Has performance problems
Has performance problems
2022.01.25_16-01-02_WEN10459_PrimalScript_has_Problems_here_and_ONLY_one_sub-process.png (102.71 KiB) Viewed 41105 times
Let me know what you think.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

In one of them you have the console visible, in the other one you don't.
Make sure they all have the same settings and re-compare. Can you launch a PowerShell console on all the machines affected?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi Alex,
I don't see where I have any consoles open, through the PS instance, on that machine where I am not having performance problems or on the other machines for that matter.
I have not knowingly changed any configuration about any console windows inside of PS.
Where should I look and where are they configured?

As to your other question yes I can open PowerShell and CMD.exe console windows on all machines.
With the proper rights I can also, as needed, open such consoles with other UserIDs and ad local Admin when needed.
Alexander Riedel

You would see that here:
2022-01-26_10-32-34.png
2022-01-26_10-32-34.png (59.96 KiB) Viewed 41009 times
2022-01-26_10-35-06.png
2022-01-26_10-35-06.png (23.96 KiB) Viewed 41009 times
Alexander Riedel
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the info.

After taking another look at the machine that is not having performance problems I looked for those open consoles and could not find them.
Here is a screenshort of that machine with PS running and the Task Manager Processes list visible:
No other consoles visibly open
No other consoles visibly open
2022.01.27_11-41-14_WPC67163_No_other_Consoles_open.png (256.99 KiB) Viewed 41018 times
Then I opened a PowerShell console as you show above:
Now a PowerShell console is open
Now a PowerShell console is open
2022.01.27_11-56-33_WPC67163_PowerShell_Console_open.png (294.54 KiB) Viewed 41018 times
As you can see opening the PowerShell console explicitly does not add another process to the list in Task Manager.

What can or should I check now?
Alexander Riedel

It does. You may not see it, but I know it does. Since you covered the actual console window in the screenshot I can't see which one you opened :D
On the machine with the problem, close the console. Close PrimalScript. Rename cachecheck.exe to cachecheck-disabled.exe
Then start PrimalScript. It does not look like it adds a lot of CPU cycles but hey, we have to start somewhere.
Alexander Riedel
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

On my machine that has the performance problem the renaming of the CacheChecker.exe had no effect, the problem still occurs.
On the machine that has no problems there are no visible console windows/dialog open anywhere I can "see".
Going to the Task Manager details reveals the following:
Windows PowerShell details under PS process
Windows PowerShell details under PS process
2022.01.28_11-45-10_WPC67163_PS_PowerShell_console_TM-Details.png (7.49 KiB) Viewed 40983 times
CMD console datails under PS process
CMD console datails under PS process
2022.01.28_11-46-32_WPC67163_PS_CMD-console_TM-Details.png (12.68 KiB) Viewed 40983 times
Maybe that tells you where they come from and what they are doing.
I sill cannot see where they are.
Here is the Desktop with PS minimised:
PS minimized to see if there are any other consoles open
PS minimized to see if there are any other consoles open
2022.01.28_11-34-08_WPC67163_PrimalScript_minimized.png (2.39 MiB) Viewed 40983 times
I imagine that they were flagged at startup to be non-visible (Windows Style Value= 0 (Hide the window)) but that is just a guess.
Alexander Riedel

Well, I guess that is the wrong tree to bark up anyway. I'll see if any inspiration hits me today what to try next.
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

Have you made any progress on this? I was wondering if you can turn off any network hardware on the machine where that happens?
It still very much smells like network timeouts to me.
Alexander Riedel
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi Alex,

I cannot turn off the network hareware because I am working from home using Citrix GoToMyPC functionality.
Our Client OS guys want to investigate this further when I am back in the office but that will be awhile and I don't know how long.

There is, as mentioned before one of my machines where this is not happening and I am connecting to it also through GoToMyPC from the other machines that I am controlling from the outside through GoToMyPC.
So we still have no idea what is causing this.
I will update this theme as soon as I have any new information for you and anyone else this might be effecting.
I know this is not great information but that is all I have right now. :-(
This topic is 2 years and 3 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.