Script Packager not saving settings

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 1 year and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
crossen2798
Has voted: 1 time

Script Packager not saving settings

Post by crossen2798 »

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2022, Version: 5.8.205
Operating system: Windows 10 Professional 21H1, OS Build 19043.1645
PowerShell version(s): 5.1

I'm having a problem with the Script Packager not saving settings.
I'm setting the script packager to run as alternate credentials and to use a code signing certificate.
However, after saving the script packager settings, when opening them again, the settings are no longer in there.
Also, because of this, my packaged scripts are also not containing these credentials or certificate.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Script Packager not saving settings

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Please indicate if this is a project or a single script you are packaging.
Also, in the Script Packager UI, if you explicitly click "Save", please confirm that your settings are not saved.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
crossen2798

Post by crossen2798 »

I believe it's only a form based script, and not a full blown project. The files that were created for it are the following:

fact.psf (PowerShell Studio Form Document)
fact.psf.bak (BAK File)
fact.psf.psbuild (Sapient Script Packager)

I have used two different methods of saving the script packager settings. Both by explicitly saving from the save menu, and also by just closing the settings window, and choosing to save from the pop-up. Neither of these techniques seem to be saving the settings.

This packaged script had been working for quite some time. However, we had to rotate the password for the service account that this packaged script was using. It wasn't until I re-opened this packaged script and set the new password when I noticed that it was no longer saving these settings. It's been a while since I've had to make changes to this particular packaged script, so I'm not sure at what point this issue may have been introduced.

As of now, my users are unable to use this script as intended since it needs to run as alternate creds, and is no longer doing so. Now that the packaged script is no longer saving these settings, the script is running as the account of the user who is running it, and failing to function as expected since it needs these alternate credentials to perform the tasks within. There is an incident opened for this issue in our ticketing system, and users (as well as management) are asking for a fix.
crossen2798

Post by crossen2798 »

I've also tried making a copy of the folder where this script is located, but opening the copy yields the same results, it will not save the script packager settings either.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Can you please zip your files, or at least the .psbuild file and upload the zip file here: https://www.sapien.com/support/upload ?
Since the credentials are not saved you don't need to remove them. We would like to use your original files to see what happened.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
crossen2798

Post by crossen2798 »

I've attempted to upload the file, but get the following message:

"You are not allowed to perform this action."

This is due to security restrictions implemented by my company.
I'm going to have to request a temporary exception to the policy so I can upload the file.
I'll get it uploaded as quickly as I can.

Thanks!
crossen2798

Post by crossen2798 »

The exception rule has been approved, and I have uploaded the file.

Thanks!
Olga_B
Site Admin

Post by Olga_B »

Thanks for uploading files.

I checked the .psbuild file, it has no setting at all, and according to the day modified it's new
I was able to set user and password and save .psbuild file just fine with no problem

So, i have several questions:
1. In the Script Packager tool click on the Info (on the upper right corner ? in the blue ) and check what version of Script Packager tool you have.
2. After you build package what information was in the Output panel?
3. Any error related to Script Packager tool in the Event Veiwer after you build package?
4. Where are your files located? Is it local drive or it's some network share? Do you have correct access to that location
5. Can you create simple notepad file, open it, add some changes and save it. Was it save ok?
6. Can open your existing file in notepad and add this to the block under
[Package], then safe file and close it. Are you able to do that? Open again in Notepad and verify if all added info is there

[Package]
PSBuildVersion=4.5
Output=fact
OutputPath=bin
Manifest=
ManifestType=1
STA=1
GenerateConfigFile=1
Obfuscate=0
ResolveExternalScripts=0
HashType=None
Password2=dABlAHMAdAA=
Username=test
Engine=SAPIEN PowerShell V5 Host (Windows Forms)
Target=Microsoft Windows 32 and 64 Bit
UseRunAs=2
PFX=
PFXThumbPrint=F86FFF74C043918BB8A4914570F4D82842AA2B67
TimeStamp=http://timestamp.globalsign.com/scripts ... ature=sha2
PFXPassword2=
FileVersion=1.0.1.0
ProductVersion=1.0.1.0
ProductName=
Description=
Company=
Copyright=(c) 2022 All rights reserved
InternalName=
OriginalName=fact
Comments=
RestrictUser=
RestrictMAC=
RestrictMachine=
RestrictDomain=
RestrictInstance=0
ProhibitLogging=0
DisableLogging=0
DisableTranscript=0
RestrictedOS=
AutoIncrementVersion=0
Icon1=C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\PowerShell Studio 2022\ScriptPackage.ico
crossen2798

Post by crossen2798 »

1. 1.4.50

2. >> Package 'C:\Scripts\PowerShell\RGA\FolderAccessControlTool\fact.psf'
>> Building (fact.psf) ...
SAPIEN Package and Deploy Tool 4.5 (c) 2005 - 2022 SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

------ Build started: fact, Configuration: x64 ------
Packaging with SAPIEN PowerShell V5 Host (Windows Forms) x64
Adding C:\Scripts\PowerShell\RGA\FolderAccessControlTool\fact.Package.ps1
Writing scripts to bin\x64\fact.exe
Embedding default manifest...
Package completed

>> Completed

3. No, nothing related to PowerShell Studio or the script packager.

4. Local disk on C: drive

5. Yes, can open, modify, and save file in both notepad as well as PowerShell Studio.
crossen2798

Post by crossen2798 »

I'm going to try completly uninstalling PowerShell Studio and re-installing it and see if that has any effect.
This topic is 1 year and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.