activation in a non-persistent VDI environment

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 1 year and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
ryanschmi

activation in a non-persistent VDI environment

Post by ryanschmi »

Product, version and build: Powershell Studio 2022 5.8.207
Operating system: Windows 10 x64 21H1/21H2
PowerShell version(s): 5.1, 7.2
32-bit version of software? No

We're looking to use this software in a non-persistent VDI environment where the user's OS is refreshed at each logoff and the user logins to a new VM each day (VmWare App Volumes 4). How is the license/activation data maintained?

I saw the FAQ on the activation quick start guide
-Q: “I regularly reset my virtual machine where I use your software. I need to activate each time I reset my VM.”
A: Install and unlock our software, then create a snapshot of your virtual machine. Once you reset to that snapshot, our product is already activated and you do not require any additional activations.”

But what if it’s non-persistent? Is it stored in the user profile (which is retained at each logon) or it written to another location? And does the activation include part of the machine name (which in our environment is randomly generated at each logon)?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: activation in a non-persistent VDI environment

Post by Alexander Riedel »

If your machine is entirely non-persistent, including user data, then this won't work. But that is normally not the case.
https://www.sapien.com/blog/2022/01/12/ ... -machines/
This article explains the items that need to be persisted between sessions. Without them, some or all functionality, including activation, may not operate.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 1 year and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.