PrimalScript 8.1.176.0 hangs on any edit

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 1 year and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
DiZzyDmon
Has voted: 1 time

PrimalScript 8.1.176.0 hangs on any edit

Post by DiZzyDmon »

Product, version and build: PrimalScript 2022 version 8.1.176
Operating system: Windows 10
PowerShell version(s): 5.1 (the one that comes with Windows)

The topic "PrimalScript hangs on any edit" is now locked, so I had to open this new topic, but it's the same problem.

Last week I upgraded PrimalScript from 8.1.174 to 8.1.176.
Since then the freezing up is happening again.
The larger the script, the more likely (and longer) it is to hang/freeze.
It does not appear to matter whether the file is local on my computer or on a network share.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: PrimalScript 8.1.176.0 hangs on any edit

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I was going through the event log you provided in the last thread. All of the errors logged are access violations, meaning someone pokes at memory they have no business poking at.
The source of that unfortunately varies, so that makes it very hard to pin down.
Would you be willing to 'lend' me one of your larger files (https://www.sapien.com/support/upload) with some indication on what you edited where the last time this happened?
I would like to run this in the debugger and evaluate what happens where. Using my sample files I generally use for this produces no such effect.
Can you also give me some physical characteristics on your machine, specially memory size. In some rare cases memory fragmentation can cause weird effects.
Not saying that this is it, but the simple thing to try is to see if rebooting solves the problem for a short while.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

I uploaded one of the PowerShell scripts that's been hanging on me today to https://www.sapien.com/support/upload.

My physical computer is a Dell Latitude 5521:
CPU is "Intel (R)11th Generation Core(TM) i7-11850H vPro Capable (8 Core, 24M cache, base 2.5GHz, up to 4.8GHz)"; 16 logical processors (less than 20% in use).
Memory is "16GB,1x16GB, DDR4 Non-ECC"; 16 GB RAM (less than 8 GB in use)

I power down my laptop at the end of every workday.
Alexander Riedel

Ok, thanks for the file. Can you give me some indication where about you did what when the hang occurred? paste? edit?
Alexander Riedel
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

As soon as I open the file, PrimalScript freezes.
Once the initial freeze ends, any attempt to edit the file in any way (press the Enter key to create a new line, change any text in the file) it freezes again, eventually performs the requested change.
Alexander Riedel

I think I found something. However, that is very PowerShell specific. You indicated that this also happened with a python file. Would you mind sending me one of these as well?
Alexander Riedel
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

I tried several of my longest Python scripts, PrimalScript does not freeze on any of them.
Alexander Riedel

Ok, would you mind if I set you up on a test build to see if it helps?
Alexander Riedel
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

Sure, I’d be happy to try a test build.

(extra text to pass 50 character minimum)
Alexander Riedel

Okay, I will email you a link later today.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 1 year and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.