Add ps exe to custom actions

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 10 months and 3 days old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Add ps exe to custom actions

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I have reviewed your uploaded files and added the exe you sent to my sample installer.
2023-05-23_17-14-40.png
2023-05-23_17-14-40.png (73.8 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
As you can see it shows up.
It actually shows up behind the installer, so you may want to force the form to be the top most when you load it.
2023-05-23_17-21-23.png
2023-05-23_17-21-23.png (58.31 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
I can obviously not build your .psbuild file, but I did not find any setting in it that stands out.
Just to make sure sequence is not an issue, I would try moving your register app to the top of the custom actions list. See if that makes a difference.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Alexander Riedel

I have added the sample installer using your supplied exe here. Run this on your machine to determine if your OS or settings are the issue and not the exe file.
Attachments
decodehr (2).zip
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
Alexander Riedel
Epoch55systems

Post by Epoch55systems »

Thank you. I noticed that your installer wizard looks different than mine. Is there a difference?
Epoch55systems

Post by Epoch55systems »

I ran yours and it works fine, the register product exe runs. I also moved the register product to the top of the custom actions and it did not make any difference, the exe never starts.
Alexander Riedel

The test installer I used was once used to demonstrate customization options. It has custom bitmaps added at the top which your settings indicate you did not do. Is that what you mean?
If not, please send a screenshot.
Are you running the real registration program in your installer or also what you sent me. Have you tried running the modified one you sent me?
Maybe that is the difference?
Alexander Riedel
Epoch55systems

Post by Epoch55systems »

I meant the size of the installer window was different than mine. I switched to a minimal wizard (including EULA) but it didn't make any difference. Yes, I did use the one I sent you as well as the original but the same thing happened, the packaged exe did not run. Is the .psbuild file the one that lists all the options I used in the MSI builder? Is there anything else you need to look at? Thanks.
Alexander Riedel

It's a little strange. Not sure what would be causing this. Let's do this:
Create a dummy script "Hello World".
Make an installer for it.
Add a custom action that runs your trimmed down forms app.
Add that and the config to the files installed.
Try the MSI on your machine with logging.
Assuming it does the same, as in in not running that process,
add all files, exe, script, psbuild, log, anything I need to replicate this and upload it.

I specifically want the MSI and the source files so I can recreate it here and compare the binary files and the logs.
Alexander Riedel
Epoch55systems

Post by Epoch55systems »

Test Form created. I added the scrubbed exe as well. When I tried to install, same issue (the exe did not run), however I did notice that the wizard did not default to the program files directory even though I did have the install directory set to: [ProgramFiles]]\[Product]. The install log file is included in the zip. Thank you.
Alexander Riedel

You have a double ]] in "[ProgramFiles]]\[Product]" that's what causes the path to be incorrect.
I found the source of your troubles. You use the name of 'RegisterProduct' for the custom action name.
The internal actions (according to the MSI log) have one with a name 'RegisterProduct' and THAT get executed. Just not yours.
Rename your custom action to 'RegisterMyProduct' and it should work fine.

FWIW, I had no idea either, learned something new today.
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

For reference, this are the standard MSI actions:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... -reference

Your custom actions should not have a name already used.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 10 months and 3 days old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.