PrimalXML 2012/2014/2015 cut's off text in Tree Navigation

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 9 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
LarsLu

Post by LarsLu »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is by design (so this would be a feature request), but when I try to navigate in very big XML files with +10000 lines, then it becomes very hard to navigate and find specific info which can't easily be found by using the search function. I need to scroll through the file to find the info.

I scroll down in the Tree Navigation window because it only shows the main branch so it becomes less lines to go through. The problem is that the Tree Navigation window only presents the first 40 characters and hides the rest of the line by adding "..." at the end. I need to see the complete line, because the first 40 characters are often containing the same info.
Expand all doesn't help and I've tried changing different Options.

The xml-window on the right side shows everything and therefore contains too many lines to be able to manually scroll through the file to find the main topics that I'm interested in.

This behaviour is the same in all released versions, I'm currently using PrimalXML 2015 (4.1.35) 64-bit on Windows 7 64-bit English.
Is there a way to configure this to show all characters per line in the Tree Navigation window?

I've attached two pictures:
PrimalXML_2015_Tree_Navigation_window - Shows the 40 ch. limitation.
PrimalXML_2015_XML-file_window - Shows the full line (high-lighted first 40 ch.).

Regards
Lars
PrimalXML_2015_Tree_Navigation_window.jpg
PrimalXML_2015_Tree_Navigation_window.jpg (67.27 KiB) Viewed 24232 times
PrimalXML_2015_XML-file_window.jpg
PrimalXML_2015_XML-file_window.jpg (103.61 KiB) Viewed 24232 times
Last edited by LarsLu on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAPIEN Support Forums

Post by SAPIEN Support Forums »

This is an automated post. A real person will respond soon.

Thank you for posting, lars.lundgren@tac.com.

Did you remember to include the following?
  • 1. Product, version and build (e.g. Product: PrimalXML 2014, Version & Build: 4.0.31. Version and build information can be found in the product's About box accessed by clicking the blue icon with the 'i' in the upper right hand corner of the ribbon.)
    2. Specify if you are running a 32 or 64 bit version
    3. Specify your operating system and if it is 32 or 64 bit.
    4. Attach a screenshot if your issue can be seen on the screen
    5. Attach a zip file if you have multiple files (crash reports, log entries, etc.) related to your issue.
If not, please take a moment to edit your original post or reply to this one.

*** Make sure you do not post any licensing information ***
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: PrimalXML 2012/2014/2015 cut's off text in Tree Navigati

Post by davidc »

There is no option to display the full line in the Navigation.

If you are searching for a specific element or attribute, I recommend using the Find Object command located on the Ribbon.

You can also use the Simple XPath search as well.

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
LarsLu

Post by LarsLu »

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

What I mainly do is verifying if a configuration file in XML format has been altered with wrong info. The XML file has 35000 lines, and the info I'm looking for have 250 entries and each of those have around 200 lines with same configuration info, but with different enabled/disabled status.

I have never used Simple XPath Search before, but it looks like I should be able to use it to extract my info (my first attempts so far only gave me the elements, but Value is empty).
Find and Find Object only show single line search result where you can continue to find next, it doesn't show all matched lines at the same time.

Still, it would have been so much simpler if I instead could see the full line in Tree Navigation. :)

Regards
Lars
davidc

Post by davidc »

Is the enabled / disabled status contained in an attribute or is it just text within an element?

David
David
LarsLu

Post by LarsLu »

Hi David,

Nope, that would be too easy! ;)

One entry show "Disabled=203", then it lists all that are disabled.
After that comes the total list of all enabled/disabled, with the enabled ones first in the list.

So you need to get the difference between total and disabled to know how many lines from the total list that are the enabled ones.

Another problem is that some of the main entries end with "(copy)", which means they are only a copy of the configuration and should be ignored.

It also looks like that it in some cases have "wrong" sub-configuration name due to name changes in the application GUI so it uses a GUID name instead of the friendly name.

Regards
Lars
davidc

Post by davidc »

Sorry to hear that :)

I will put in the feature request.

David
David
LarsLu

Post by LarsLu »

Hi David,

Great, thanks! :)

The visual problem in Tree Navigation window also occur for small XML files too with long lines, so for me personally would it be very helpful overall if this get sorted out in a later release.

Thank you very much for quick and professional support!

Regards
Lars
davidc

Post by davidc »

Happy to help! Or at least try :).

David
David
This topic is 9 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.